KNOWLE LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY


Home. About the Society. About Knowle. Knowle Records. Exhibitions & Talks. Oral History. Tomorrow's History. Village Tours. Services. Publications. Links. Programme. Contact Us. LATEST NEWS Talks Main Page. Talks Page 2. Exhibitions. Past Projects.

THE OLD VILLAGE

A geographical tour round central Knowle, illustrated with old photographs, in two parts. Duration: one hour each.


TALKS PAGE 1

Part 1: The Church & Guild House * The Square

Kenilworth Road * Kixley Lane * Golden End * Wilsons Road

The Berrow Homes


Part 2: High Street * Hampton Road * Warwick Road (north)

Lodge Road & Longdon Road * Station Road

Warwick Road (south).

A WALK ALONG HIGH STREET

A virtual tour  along High Street, for those wanting a shorter talk (for instance, after a meal)  Duration: c. 30 minutes.  

A expanded version  of part of The Old  Village Part 2, Including some of the most significant buildings in High Street

Right: High Street, early 1900s, showing the Greswolde Hotel and the  cottages next to it.

The Square, c. 1900

The Road to Coventry & Warwick * The Old School to Kixley Lane * High Street to Wilsons Road * ilsons Road to Golden End * Golden End * The Canal & Beyond

Right: Cottages, Golden End






KENILWORTH ROAD

A tour along the original main street through Knowle, passing through the  oldest part of the medieval village.  

Duration: c. 40 minutes

KIXLEY LANE

A tour along one of Knowle’s ancient lanes, with recorded history dating from the 14th century. Duration: c. 40 mins

Victorian Terrace *  The Children’s Field * Knowle C of E Primary School * Knowle’s First Council Houses * The Water Meadows * Yew Tree Farm * Far End * The Cottage The Canal  Kixley Farm * The Watercress Patch

The Path to Elvers Green

Right: Far End, once an inn for bargees, in 1979



A THOUSAND YEARS OF KNOWLE

A chronological history of Knowle from before the Norman Conquest to the present day.  Duration: c. 50 minutes


The de Ardens & Westminster Abbey * The Church & Guild

Timber-framed Buildings * The Grevilles

Knowle Free School * The Canal * Enclosure * The Railway The Victorian Expansion * Two World Wars

The Changing Village

Right: At the Red Lion, en route for Warwick Races, c. 1900


THE HISTORY OF DORRIDGE

The history of Dorridge, from its origins as part of the Manor of Knowle to the opening of the station and the development of Dorridge as a separate community.  Duration: c. 50 mins

Before the Railway  * The Station  * Town to Country

Shops & Businesses * The Churches  *  The Inns

The Community

Right: Station Approach with Pitt’s Hansom Cab


The building * The Constable Connection * The Marshalls

ays of Post & Stage * Lady Byron * The Bowling Club
The Bicycle Touring Club * The Greswolde 1900 - 1921
Venison Dinners * The Garage * The Lido

The Greswolde Since 1957 and more…

With an associated booklet.  See Publications



THE MERMAID & GRESWOLDE ARMS

The history of Knowle’s main  inn and its connections with the Greswolde family and John Constable.  Duration c. 45 mins

The Greswolde, early 20th century.

THE CANAL THROUGH KNOWLE

Duration c. 50 minutes.That other world, apart from the bustle and noise of High Street.


Canal mania, Catherine de Barnes to Rising Bridge; the locks and the lock cottages; keeping things spick and span;

the boats which passed through; the families who made their living on the canal; coal & lime; the canal pubs; today’s canal.. Enhanced by personal memories.

With an associated booklet.  See Publications

Right:Top Lock, 1999 (John Rear)

A

Paddington to Snow Hill * Mr. Muntz * The Station at Knowle

The Forest & The Railway Inn * The Expansion of Dorridge

The Goods Yard & The Stock Yard * Going up to Town

A Day in the Country * Two Accidents * Station Memories

The Chiltern Line

Right: The Station in 1910

THE RAILWAY STATION AT DORRIDGE

A history of the station from its opening in 1852 to the present day.  Duration c. 45 minutes

THE FARMS OF KNOWLE

Knowle’s history as an agricultural community, with emphasis on the farms in the centre of the village.

Duration c. 50 minutes

The Medieval Scene * The Estate Farms *  Chester House  Dell Farm * Knowle Lodge * Milverton House * Milverton Farm * The Olde House * Washpits * Tilehouse Green Farm Tilehouse Farm * Widney Farm.

Right: Washpits Farm, Station Road (demolished 1971)


SPRINGFIELD HOUSE

The history of Springfield from its origins as a private estate in the early 18th century to its present day use as a school for children with special needs.  Duration: c. 45 minutes


Freckleton’s Dole * The Fishers & Richard Moland

The Boultbees * The Jacksons  * The House * The Stables Springfield VAD Hospital * The Staff * The Grounds

The Estate * Springfield House School  * The Nature Reserve * The Environmental Study  Centre

With an associated booklet.  See Publications

Right: The Water Gardens,  Springfield, early 1900s


THE PLACE NAMES OF KNOWLE

The origins of Knowle place names from medieval fields to modern roads and buildings.  Duration: c. 1 hour

The Forest of Arden * The River Blythe  * Knowle & Longdon * Purnells Brook * Field Names * Roads & buildings in Central Knowle * New Road Names

With an associated booklet.  See Publications

Right: High Street early 1900s, showing Brisker’s shoe shop and Kingscote (with a brick front) beyond.


THE BERROW INHERITANCE

Duration c.40 minutes.

The history of the Berrow Cottage Homesi from 1886. Including: the Trust; the Victorian cottages; the gardens and grounds; the Jubilee extensions; recent times; the estate.

Associated booklet in preparation

Right: the original four cottages facing High Street in 1986 (El

THE WHITE SWAN & THE RED LION

The history of Knowle’s two timber-framed inns in The Square opposite the church, of which only the Red Lion remains.

The Buildings * The Landlords * The Associated Activites, including Bowling * The White Swan’s connection with the College of Knowle

Right: the White Swan and the Red Lion beyond in 1891

More Talks Back to Talks Main Page